Do you know what is going on in YOUR furnace?
Possible Sources of Error:
1) Incorrect selection of sensor
2) Poor location
4) Induced voltage
5) Incorrect handling
6) Incorrect insertion depth
7) Contamination from the process
8) Temperature drift
Inherent Issues with Type K Thermocouples
1) Chromel wire is subject to oxidation or green rot.
2) Sulfurous atmospheres will attack the element.
Have a sales rep review if switching to an N-Type Thermocouple can improve your temperature accuracy.
Other Possible Solutions:
1) Shortening the thermocouple or tube
2) Selecting a larger OD protection tube
3) Purging the tube with clean air
Protection Tube Selection:
4) Metal 304, 316, 310, 446 Stainless Steel or Inconel 600
Protection Tubes are used to protect sensors, usually thermocouples, against contaminating atmospheres and/or mechanical damage.
Thermowells are used in applications where it is necessary to measure temperature at high pressure (above 75 PSIG) or in hostile environments.
Tapered vs Straight:
Tapered thermowells provide greater strength without sacrificing sensitivity. Because of its higher strength-to-weight ratio, the tapered thermowell provides greater resistance to high-frequency vibrations than straight thermowells.
The Thermo-Kinetics Solution
Trusting Your Temperature Measurements:
Thermocouples in Industrial Furnaces
Which one should I use?
1) “Base Metal”: Type J, K, T, E, N
2) “Noble Metal”: Type R, S, B
N Type Thermocouples
1) Offers enhanced stability at a higher temperature.
2) Superior oxidation resistance.
3) Pyrosil-D sheath provides expanded oxidization resistance and high-temperature strength. (Also available for K Types)
R & S Type Thermocouples
1) Recommended for use at higher temperatures. (0 to 1600 °C or 32 to 2280 °F)
2) Must be protected by non-metallic protection tube and insulators to avoid contamination.
Trusting Your Process is in Control:
UDC2800 – Powerful Standalone Controller
Honeywell’s Consistent, Powerful Platform for a Better Solution Controlling
5) Environmental chambers
6) Cookers, Dryers and Freezers
It’s the Smart Solution for Temperature and Heat Treatment Control in Aerospace, Pharmaceuticals, Glass, Food, and Beverage.
Trusting Your Efficiency:
FurnaceSpection – Infrared Camera System monitoring furnace exit gas temperature
Advanced Energy’s FurnaceSpection system provides real-time continuous temperature measurement to
3) Glass production processes
Measures the temperature of product, refractory, and heat transfer surfaces inside natural gas-fired furnaces.
Furnace Exit Gas Temperature Monitoring Benefits:
1) Minimize unwanted slag.
2) Optimize and Tune heat transfer.
3) Alarm triggers for corrective actions and soot-blowing operations.
4) Maximize uptime, installed and maintained while the furnace is online.
LumaSpec Inspection Software – Thermal Imaging Software
Capture images, videos, and data with your thermal imaging camera as well as review and analyze the data with advanced analytical tools.
LEARN display thermal snapshots video capture to learn about your furnace
MONITOR real-time monitoring to keep your process in control
ANALYZE visualize thermal data over time
AUTOMATE on-screen or IO Alarms
Visually Confirming Your Process:
Lenox FireSight Visual Cameras – High-temperature camera systems
Providing clear, crisp images of the combustion process in
5) Other combustion chambers.
Lenox FireSight Demo – Steel Industry
Lenox FireSight Demo – Glass Industry